Sunday, July 8, 2012

Pinterest Crafting!!

Wow!  What a weekend!  CRAZY storms swept my home state and our neighbors beginning Friday and I’ve been without internet and telephone ALL WEEKEND.  BUT I’m back and trying to catch up!  As you can see, my blog is having a few “hiccups”...I can’t get the title to center and the “pin it” button is not working.  Really?!  Really.  I had to step away a bit ago because my frustration level was approaching dangerously close to “smash something”.  So what did I do while my blood pressure dropped?

PINTEREST CRAFTING! Yes!!

I made this...
DIY File Folder Pocket Chart


See, on Pinterest, I have a board called “Even a Heaven is Organized to a Teacher”.  I LIVE by organization.  It calms me.  And so does crafting.  So I made this to go in my new classroom to help me be more organized.  Plus, it’s cute, ain’t it?! 

Want to make one?  Here’s how...

(WAIT!  DISCLAIMER...this is not my idea, obviously.  It’s on Pinterest.  The blog I saw it on did not have very detailed instructions or pictures so I had to do things my way.  I took the idea, and did it my way.)


Here’s what you need...

1.  Double sided file folders, at least 5
2.  hot glue gun or super glue
3. single hole punch
4. thin ribbon
5. scissors
6. OPTIONAL - thick ribbon
7. OPTIONAL - file folder labels

Now...

Step 1:  Get a pack or at least 5 double sided file folders.  Target has them, even in the dollar section. I’ve seen them at Michaels.  I got these at Staples in a pack of 6 for $4.99.  These are actually very thick and have a shiny coated side that will work like it’s laminated. ;)  

Now that you have your file folders, turn them over to the back.  You’re going to fold down the tab side that you would normally stick the label on.  Glue the folded tab down.  I used Krazy Glue.  Like this....

Step 1


Step 2:  After you’ve folded and glue all the tabs down on all your folders, line them up vertically in the order you want them to hang in your final product.  Tuck the bottom of the top folder down inside the folder below it.  When you’re doing this, measure using a piece of paper the same size as the largest paper you’d file in your file pockets.  Make sure you can still see the tab of the top folder and the paper is not covering it up.  If it is, your top folder is too far inside the folder below it.  

Once you have all your folders lined up, glue the top folders to the inside back of the folder below it, starting with the bottom two folders and working your way up.  I just used a little glue on the top edges, not all the way down.  Like this...(in left to right, top to bottom order...)

Step 2

Step 3:  Once all your folders are glued to each other, you’re ready to “tie them off”!  You’re going to punch holes in the sides and use ribbon to hold them together.  Plus, it makes it pretty. ;)

For this, I used a regular single hole punch, but I had to punch it layers because the folders are thick.  I started with the top layer and added another layer, punching through the same hole each time and whalla! Start with the top section of the very bottom folder, on the tab that you folded and glued down.  The very bottom of the folder above it should be glued to the back inside this folder, as will be the case with the remaining folders above.  Open the folder and punch through the top of it (and incidentally, through the tab you folded and glued), then add the top of the folder behind it, then the bottom of the folder above and the back of the very bottom folder.  Keep punching as you go up the line, on both sides.  

Step 4:  NOW get your ribbon!  I used 1/4 inch ribbon.  I wove the ribbon starting with the bottom hole and looping it up on both sides to the top hole.  Then I threaded both ends of the ribbon through the top hole and tied with a bow around the edge.  The bow sits on top of the folder though.  

Like this.... (in left to right, top to bottom order...)

Step 3

Step 3 - Bow on top

Remember to use the holes twice so the ribbon looks woven all the way up.  Like this...

Step 3 - Finished

Step 5:  Step 5 is optional.  You can simply attach your file folder pocket chart to the wall using velcro adhesive tape.  But I wanted it to hang on a 3M hook.  So I attached a ribbon to hang it from to the back of the top file folder.  I simply took a larger width ribbon, 2 inch I think, and measured out how low I wanted it to hang from the hook.  Then I cut a piece of ribbon and glued the ends to the back of the top file folder.  I applied a piece of craft scotch tape over top as well for security.  

You’re done!  That’s it.  

You can write on the tabs or make your own labels.  I’m making my own labels and adding embellishments I found at Michaels to customize and give it a “finished” look.  I will post the labels I make tomorrow....


No comments:

Post a Comment