Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Marshmallow & Froot Loop Place Value

It is mid-week 3 now and things are getting going.  I've assessed my students in reading and in math.  Let's just say...YIKES!  So, I'm having to adapt a lot of the math plans I'm getting from my fellow grade-level team members.  We chose to begin with place value because we all were noticing that our students just didn't have any sense...number sense, that is!

Rather than doing a pencil and paper activity, I wanted to assess their place value knowledge thus far and give them another opportunity to manipulate and visualize those digits!  I hunted and hunted on Pinterest and TpT.  I googled.  I searched blogs.  Luckily, I came across a blog that had an activity for a lower elementary grade using marshmallows and Froot Loops cereal.  I loved it!  But it was too easy for my Terrific Thirds!  So... in true form, I adapted it and made my own materials and lesson plan for it to use it the way I wanted to.

I made the materials so I could display it in the hallway as well.  The work mat is blank with spaces to assess students' understanding of place value in a 4-digit number.  The recording sheet also assesses their understanding of rounding to the nearest 10.  The activity as a whole will give them practice in and assess their understanding of whole number v. digit, the value of a digit, place value, estimation, rounding, etc.




Here are the materials if you're interested!


Pre-K, Third - TeachersPayTeachers.com

No comments:

Post a Comment